Thursday, November 16, 2006

DAY 142

After the usual feeding Theresa and I went back to work on the bathroom. We started out by putting on the second coat of paint and also a coat of white on the windowsills. Since it was a little windy today the paint to longer to dry. While we were waiting we went out to the hardware store and got these wooden planks, about 3 or 4 inches wide, with this indent thing on the top so it looked pretty and and plain. When we got back to the bathroom we got to exercise our carpentry skills, which actually were pretty good, if I say so myself. We measured and cut and even had to do some geometry, because we were doing that thing were the ends extend out at an angle so that they fit in the corner like a puzzle. With the paint now dry we took the screw driver and put whole in the wall, were we wanted to put the wood planks. This took some time since, except for the one wall that was painted Just in color, the wood was going everywhere that the two colors met. Even in the stalls. After nailing them into the wall, which took some time since some of the places, we couldn't get a the nail in straight into the cement so we kept breaking the nails or the screw on the screw driver that turns everything (sorry I'm not up on my carpentry lingo). We finally got all the wood in place and then before going further sanded it all, especially the corners. For some reason the nails to make it not look so tacky, put some wood filler over the nails, so it just looked liked a long continuous piece of wood. Then to make it even more pretty we put this really nice dark wood stain on the wood. While that was drying we had our lunch break. There were these really nice head shots of like 5 or 6 animals from around the zoo that had these nice, thin, black frames around them. To finish off the bathroom and make it look complete, we took the pictures and hung them on the one color wall. Those pictures really made all the difference. With there still be time left in the day I went to go help Lawrence with his project that he was doing in one of the owl cages. Well everything was doing fine, until we started moving the large branches. That's because one of the big ass branches fell on my head. At first I blacked out for like a millisecond, then all I could see was silver stars. After the stars went away I thought I was OK so I went back to work. But as soon as I took those few steps forward I got this huge pounding headache, so I put my hand up to the spot that hurt. I felt this huge bump about the size of the circumfrance of a golf ball. The big shocker was that when I brought my hand down, it was covered in blood. OK, maybe not covered, butthere still was a lot
and it took a couple tissues to get it to stop. In the end it was OK and I didn't need anything for it, well other than pain killers. I spent the rest of the evening lying in bed watching TV, since I didn't have the energy, or the will for that matter, to do anything else.