Friday, August 18, 2006

DAY 52

I would just like to say TGIF!!!!!! Thanks, I need to say that. We're making Auvergne Cheese Quiche, Veal and Morel Mushroom Pie, and Summer Fruit Cups. Ok, so this won't take very long to write since alot of the stuff we mzde on monday, but anyways.... We started with the two crust and the dough on top of the pie. So we rolled out two short pastry crusts and the topping dough for the pie was the puff pastry. If your wondering why we needed to use two different kinds of dough for one recipe this is why. We use the short pastry dough for the crusts since it is not as "airy" as the puff pastry dough ( used for things like Napoleons and croissonts) so when we add liquid it wont' come leaking through the dough or make a hole at the bottom and leak out. Then reason why were using puff pastry for the top instead of the short pastry is because of the qualities (look above what it's used for) it won't be this thick cardboard thing ontop of your pie. So we put all this in to the fridge and clean up the counter tops from all the flour and put the rolling pins, etc... away. Then we take out the two different kinds of cheese for our quiche, St. Nectaire cheese (and yes that's a kind of cheese, like chedder or brie) and Blue cheese, but the kind that's from Auvergne. With the cheese, the chopped walnuts, and for everybody else minced bacon put it into one of the crusts. Add the egg mixture and pameasan cheese and then popped it into the oven. While that in the oven we take out the vegetable and veal medley that we made on monday and pu it in a pot on the stove. from here we cooked it until the veal had been cooked all the way through and then strained it. While this was going on had our tea and coffee at the same time. Took the crust out and put down a layer of lettuce, then the medley. We then took the sides of the crusts and folded them down. Taking the puff pastry circle that we had just made put an egg wash around the edges and then put it on top of the pie, and with a kork making sure that the top was securely on. Put some egg wash on the top and then put a little design on it. By the time we were finished it was time to take the other quiche out of the oven, then we put this one in. We were only going to make the quiche and pie, but there were some left over fruit in the fridge and they were having the whole kitchen get a big cleaning this weekend, so they wanted to get rid of it, but didn't want to throw it away. So Chef gave us each two little cups and told us to be creative. After this we cleaned up, had a piece of each and then had our fruit dessert. After class instead of going home I needed to get a birthday card for Zoé since I had gotten here a present but wanted to include a card as well. I get off at one of the two metro stops that my roommates say is a card shop. I get up to street level and can't find any shops that look like they sells cards, and it wouldn't matter because most of them were closed anyways. I then proceed down the street, towards what looks like a more busier intersection. While walking, trying to find the shop, it starts to rain. Just so you realize this, one hand is my bag of goodies, the other hand is carrying all my things, like purse, Zoé's birthday present ( so when I got the card I could just go straight to the post office) my receipe book and some other random things like hair brush, etc... that I keep in my locker during the week. Well after a while a start to look like a homeless person, you know no coat t-shirt (thankfully long-sleeved) and short sopping wet, hair looking like a wet rat and then with these two large bags. I step out of the rain but realize that it's not planning to let up any time soon, so I keep on going. I eventually end up passing a GAP and pop in since one of my bage its starting to dissapear I go and ask for a bag. Of course since I'm already in the store and it's nasty outside I go and look around. Leaving with my purchases and a little bit more dry I keep heading down the street. I finally come across this store called FNAC (pronounced F-nack) its like a Barnes & Noble and Best Buy all rapped up into one store. So I go inside to see if they have cards, well they don't, or at least I couldn't find them. Anyways on my search for cards I find my self in the book section, of course. I get two books and proceed to check-out, i get up to the counter and they won't let me buy my books with my credit card without another photo ID, of course the one day that I don't bring my wallet, just my coin purse and card. So I leave the books there and go look for an ATM. I find two, the first is broken and the second isn't there, it was all boarded up. So I walk around some more thinking, the store is freaking going to be closed by the time I get back. I find another ATM and get some money out, at the same time I saw the Arc de Triomphe, and I was like wow did I walk far. From were I got off at to were I aparently was now I walked through like 3 arrondissments. I then go back to the store paid for my books and then walked down that street towards the Arc de Triomphe. I then go around the Arc and walk down the Champs-Elysées and passed by the movies theater remembering that I wanted to go see Miami Vice, so I go in and buy a ticket. Since there is about an hour till my movie starts I go next door to this Italian restaurant. Afterwards I head back to the theater and go find a seat. OK, so I liked the movie, but I think I like the part that it was all in Miami then anything else. I never thought I would say this but watching the movie made me very home sick for Miami and for school. The other cool thing is that I knew were they were in most of the sceens. Like this one part you see this guy driving down the highway, you see this sigh that has the highway 1 symbol and underneath it says Biscayne BLVD. The next shot is him on the floating bridge highway (like I-90) I put the two together and say to my self, "Oh, that's the Julia Tuttle Expressway part of I-195 West going from South Beach to the on ramp of I-95 North." Then a minute or two later one of the actors is like "He's on I-195 turning onto I-95.........." I'm then like hahaha that's realy funny, that's never happened to me before. Well it definately made the rest of the evening nice. After the movie I take the metro back home and then go to sleep.

It's Friday, It's Friday, yipppy,yippy, yah!!!