Thursday, August 17, 2006

DAY 51

I arrive back in Paris about 7:30am, I get to the train station and take the metro back to the apartment. I get to the apartmnt about 8am and since I don't have to actually be up till 11:30am I go into my bed and take a couple hour nap. I wake up at 11:30am not refreshed but definately better. I then eat some breakfast get dressed, well actuallly redressed, and then go off to school. Todays reciepes are Reblochon Tart, Vegatable and Basil Quiche and Quiche Lorraine.We started with the Reblochon tart since it would take the longest of the three. We thinly sliced the potatoes and then put it into a pot with the milk, cream, and the different seasonings and herbs. While this was cooking we took out our dough and rolled it out for the crust. We also made the crusts for the other two quiches and put all thre in the fridge. After the crusts we cleaned up and got out the rest of the things for the other quiches, by the time we were done so was the potatoes. We took the potato mixture and strained it. The we each took a couple of scops of it and put it into our crusts.Then we added the cheese, and except for me, also added some bacon. THen came the egg mixture, then into the oven it went. With that in the oven we then went onto the vegetable and basil quiche.This one was much quicker than the previous one. We took the vegetable mixture out of the fridge, this is some of the vegetable that we did on monday, and filled up the quiches. Then in went the egg mixture, then the parmeasan cheese on top, you know to give it a lovely little crunch. Since there was no more room in the oven we put them back into the fridge till the tart was finished. At this point in the day it was time for our daily tea and coffee break. During our coffee break we took the tarts out and put them on the cooling rack. Afterwards we put the newly finished quiches in the oven and started in on the last one of the day. I will save you from trying to think of a creative and prolonged explaination of putting this quiche together, but alas I can't. Basically, we took the crusts out put a layer of minced bacon, then a layer of gruyère cheese, then another layer of both. Put the egg mixture in and then when there was space in the oven put it in. Since the tart and one of the quiches were done and the other one was in the oven we took this time to clean up the kitchen. After the kitchen was all clean we took all our food and spent the last couple minutes of class tasting our creations. Even though today was Thursday, I was to tired to stay for the evening class. Chef said that was fine, since the were only talking about chocolate shops in Paris. So it wasn't like I was going to miss anything that would hurt me in the learning process department. So he gave me the hand out and sent me on my merry way. I then get home put my quiches in the fridge and fall onto my bed. I then proceed to fall fast asleep and don't walk up until the morning.


Cheese-y-ness straight ahead