Wednesday, October 25, 2006

DAY 120

Now I feel like I’m back at school again, I mean in the way that I’m having to get up at 6am and not only be up but be ready to work. At 7am Renee came to pick me and take me to the zoo. My first job this morning was the tortoises. Apparently I will be taking care of the tortoises for the rest of my time here. I will start with the tortoises then move onto whatever other takes that I need to do for that day. Ok, this is what I do as my tortoise job. I first go to both eating spots and any food that is still there I put in the bucket. I then empty the water bucket and take it over to the hose. I then throw away the food that’s in the bucket and go back to the water buckets and clean them. After filling them back up with water I then go to the cold room (this is, if you couldn’t guess from the name, where the walk-in fridge is) and get the scraps of fruit, left over from cutting up the fruit for other animals food, then distributing it around the two areas were the water dishes are. Then, of course, if I see a tortoise while walking to each area I will stop and give it a couple scraps. Now if your wondering why I would have to find the tortoises, that is because they don’t live in a cage they roam free throughout the zoo. See even though the zoo is still a big size it’s still a small local zoo in the end, which means that there are only so many people that come per day and that it is not as chaotic as a larger, mainstream zoo. Which in the end means that the tortoises can roam free around the zoo. I did some random odd and end jobs around the zoo, you know racking up this, fixing that. Then at 1pm we have our lunch hour. While eating lunch I played with the Tea Garden birds. The Tea Garden birds are the Cockatoos, African Greys, and other small birds that used to be owned by people and lived in homes. These birds where then donated by their owners because of many reasons, but all the reasons boiled down to they couldn’t keep them any more. Be it, the were moving out of the country, they now didn’t have the time to feed or play with them because of work, etc… either way all the Tea Garden birds all came from pet shops at one time or the other. After lunch there is only two more hours in the day before going home. I spent those two lovely hours doing a little weeding in one of the flowerbeds next to the lion’s cage and then cutting up some horsemeat for the carnivorous animals and then helping Renee feed some of the animals.

§§§ PICTURES COMING §§§