Tuesday, August 15, 2006

DAY 49

OFFICAL COUNTDOWN TILL MY BIRTHDAY: 1 day
Oh...My...G-d (Becky look at her butt) OK, I know that phrase is soooo over used, but i don't care I like it anyway. Well the reason i'm so OMG is I leave for Monte-Carlo, Monaco today since TOMORROW IS MY BIRTHDAY!!!! I decide to get to class early today to make up for the fact that I have to leave like 45min early from class to catch my train to southern France. Today were making Provencal quiche and Tourtière de Foie Gras et Sauce Périgueux. We started the day off with making the Provenceal Quiche. We took out the tomato thing, (looked like chunky tomato sauce, like for a pizza or something)i'm not really sure what else is with the tomatoes since it's not in the recipe book and I wasn't one of the people who made it. Oh wait...I forgot that before we first rolled out the dough and made our crust. Back to what I was saying, then after the tomatoes came the zucchini and eggplant which were mixed together. Then taking the the egg, milk, etc... filling filled the rest of the quiche up. Then with thinly sliced tomatoes put them around in a circle and then sprinkle some gruyere cheese. Put the quiche in the oven, then started with the potatoes for tha foie gras dish. We took the potatoes peeled and thinly sliced them. Then in a sautée pan cooked them with a little butter until they had a golden color, and then set aside. We took out the small little tart dishes put cut out a circle shape in the wax paper and put it in the bottom of each dish. We then seasoned the foie gras and set aside while we had tea and coffee break. After break we took the potatoes and placed the overlapping in a circle in the tart dishes. The next layer was the foie gras, which was put on top, andsince this is the Ritz, there was no shortage of foie gras, so we could stuff the tarts :) Then with the pastry dough that we made yesterday put a layer of that on top. With this we put them into the oven. Fot the rest of the class I have no idea what went on since after that I left to go catch my train. I get changed back into normal clothes and with my week-end bad in tow head out the door towards the metro that would take me to the train station. With my metro map in hand I figure out the way that I need to go to get to my train station. At first I was confused since the metro station for the Ritz and the metro station that would give me a non-stop to the big train station were connected underground, so I was able to walk to it. Confused at first but then realized what I had done (the walking stint) after I had done it. Anyways I get to the train station and find which platform my train to Nice is on. I barely made it, and I was originally going to leave later, thank g-d I didn't. So I wasn't racing or anything but I was taking my time either trying to find my assigned car. As I was trying to find it I hear the whitsle blow, so I quickly get on the train and start going through each car till I get to mine. Well I walk to the end of the train and still hadn't gotten to my car (the had put to trains together) so I thought well I will just find somewhere to sit and then the first place that the train stops I will get off and get on my correct car. In the mean time I listened to music and played all sorts of games on my iPod. There was even a point that I got realy bored and started talking like a million pictures of me being silly and making all sorts of faces, then if I couldn't get any more bored I start talking freaking pictures with my food. I mean how much more of a sorry loser can one person get, the nxhen they start posing with their food. On the way down south I stop in Aix-en-Provence, Toulon, Saint Raphaël, Cannes, Antibes, then Nice. At Nice I had to get off the train and switch to one of the local trains to take me to Monte Carlo. I arrive in Monaco around 11ish and walk outside, where there is nobody around. So I start walking, to save you from falling asleep, I will shorten the story, I walked and I walked and I walked and I walked and I walked, etc.... At some point I gave up trying to find my hotel and found the nearest hotel, and got a cab from there to take me to my hotel. I get to my room and colapse on the bed. I then change and go into the mini bar and take out a bottle of champagne, because by now it's past midnight and has officially begun the 16th of August.


Duck Heaven This Way -> ->