Monday, August 14, 2006

DAY 48

OFFICAL COUNTDOWN TILL MY BIRTHDAY: 2 days
I get to class ready to work, I don't know were the energy comes from, but I think it has to do with not really doing anything this weekend. Since it's monday we are making lots of things today that we will need further down the week. Today we are making more puff pastry, if we haven't made enough allready, LOL, short pastry, cutting up most of the vegetables for some of the quiches, the marinade for the duck, and the preparations for the stuffing. Oops, I forgot to tell you guys that this week is "Savory Delights" so it's all savory foods and no desserts. If your wondering why i'm making normal food in a baking and pastry class it is because the origin of a pattisiere ment that you worked with dough. This means that you not only made sweet things like desserts but also other things as well. Now a days our culture has turned it into more of just desserts and such, but now you know the ture meaning and the beginnings of the pattisiere. We started with the puff and short pastries, put them into the fridge and then moved on to the real task at hand, which was the vegetables. There were so many freaking vegetables to cut and then cook, when we were done, more vegetable showed up, it was like a never ending cycle. I started with the cucmbers, first with the peeler then i got to use the madolin (see pictures)it was very fun, I cut up all the cucumbers into fine circles in the matter of minutes, it was fabluous fun. Afterwards I got put in charge of the onions, this was because I knew the proper and fastest way of cutting the onion, becauwe of my culinary school in Miami. Well I don't know wht my problem was, but the onions were really getting to me today. I can't say that I never cry when i'm cutting onions, but normally it's like one glistening tear, not Niagra Falls. Then it became like the class joke, and i'm like great, i get to be today joke, but it's all good, it was really funny anyway, I can't say that I wouldn't have made fun of it my self, wait..... I did, LOL!!! Then if the joke hadn't stopped at that, then they put me in charge of mincing the garlic, I took this all in good humor. After all the vegetables were cut some of the class stayed with the vegetables and went onto cooking them, the rest of us moved on to making the marinade and stuffing for the duck. Well actaully just the stuffing that's because all that's to the marinade is de-boning the duck and letting it sit, or marinade, with some stock ( from the main Ritz kitchen, oh yeah!!!) then we moved onto the stuffing. We took the foie gras and some other meat and cut them into little dices and then cooked them with the cut mushrooms, the eggs, the Cognac (hell yeah), some stock, and some seasonings. By the time we realized the time there wasn't much time left in class (jeeze how many times can you say the word "time" in one sentence). Anyways, while all these things were happening we took our tea and coffee break. Afterwards, we cleaned up and put all the things we made today into the fridge or freezer, depending on where the paticular item need to go.


This way to Savory goodness